Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Baby brother to-do's

With only 17 weeks-ish  or 3ish months left of until baby brother is going to arrive my mind is going crazy with all of the to-do's that need to be made into to-dones. Most people say oh its your second baby and it will be easier to prepare. This is true in a sense, yes I know exactly what needs to be done and not done. I also know whats going to happen if I don't get them done.

For instance when I was pregnant with Parson I waited until I was 36 weeks pregnant to get his nursery ready. What was I thinking? Organizing, hanging, putting away, being on my feet for extend periods of time was not ideal for a 36 weeks pregnant lady. I was exhausted, sore, and full of baby. I was also working outside the home full time.

I am now 23 weeks pregnant and I have the majority of the nursery set up already. I do have a cute little helper who loves helping Mom get things ready for baby brother. Being a "Stay at home Mom" allows me to take time to get these to-dos done in a much more organized and timely manner.

My very cute assistant


That being said below is my "Baby brother to-do list" for the remainder of my pregnancy, it is actually quite different than the list from my first pregnancy;

Setup Nursery (crib, glider, swing, changer, ect)  (This was much easier to do at 22 weeks rather than 36)
Wash, stuff, and size cloth diapers and wet bags (Did not do this with P, we used disposables until 10 months)
Sort through all of Parsons baby clothes
Put away newborn-9 month clothes and store 9month-2T
Inspect pump tubing and make sure its in working order (I didnt even buy a pump till after he was born...what was I thinking?!)
Find all bottles, pacis, and other random baby needed items
Clean boppy pillow and covers
Clean pack N play
Make space in master for pack N play
Create a registry or things needed list
Find and wash all nursing clothes
Stock up on nursing nessecities (breastmilk storage bags, breast pads, lanoline)  ( I did not do this with Parson eaither. I learned from late night full nursing pads, that having boxes on hand is a major help)
Hospital tour
DIY Hypno birth course (I only took one 2 hour class on child brith for P, whoops)
Stock up and prepare postpartum items (Did not do this with Parson)
Prepare a least a months worth of freezer meals/snacks, ect/buy chest freezer (did not do this with Parson)
Prepare Parson for baby brother as good as possible
Prepare myself for birth and mothering 2 boys
Re-read breastfeeding info for a refresher
Pack labor bag for Aaron and I
Pack hospital bag for baby and I
Find a basket/space for diapers, wipes, wetbag/pail, creams ect for downstairs
Buy a crib mattress
Make baby brother 2 blankets
Change air filters/clean air ducts
Make sure Parson is enjoying away from Mom time
Winterize windows in master, Parson, and baby brothers room
Get/make blackout curtains for baby brothers room
Add dimmer switch to light in baby brothers room


Crib is setup and two super cute whale blankets made!


I am making pretty good progress on my list. Things like preparing freezer meals and postpartum care items are things I did not do when preparing for Parson. Those I think are things people tell you to do with your first child, but you somehow think you can manage them after the baby comes. I literally teared up when I used our last freezer meal after Parson was born, and he was only about 1 week old when that happened. I now understand the importance of having ready to heat or throw in the crock pot meals.

The same goes for postpartum care. I did nothing as far as postpartum care and I was fortunate enough to have an easy healing process. The hospital does a good job sending you home with the basic tools you will need to aid your bodies healing process after birth, but I learned there a few other herbal remedies that sure would have been nice to have on hand.

Overall I am remaining calm and collected as I cross things off my to do list. I am not nervous or anxious about anything (yet). I am just counting down the days until I have another sweet boy in my arms to love on.

Its going to be an adjustment, tiring, hard, and sleepless...but its a stage, only a moment, only a very short period of time that my boys will be young. I am going to try my best to enjoy every tantrum, cry, up all night nights and days, sickness, and snuggles. I know before I know it...both boys will be grown and less dependent.

For now this is my life and my job, to nurture and grow two little boys while trying to be the best wife I can be...and its harder than any job I have ever done and I would never ever change it for anything.

Patty






No comments: