Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Christmas Story

We got up extra early and made it to the 9am service this morning at church. We were extra excited because we heard that we were going to be able to participate in the beginning of the service with our iphones, we did and it was so fun! We are lucky enough to go to a church who's theatrics are entertaining for those who are not religious either...their goal is to make a place where "un-church-ed" people feel comfortable, I think they have accomplished that!

After a Christmas inspired Le Mes skit and some worshiping, our pastor came out to give a Christmas devotional. Every year I heard the story of Jesus birth and every year I cry like a baby...and so do a lot of people around me. So here I sit in a church filled with thousands of people...crying....the person next to me was probably thinking "Man this lady is crying over a baby?". Man is it so much more than that.

The emotional pulls that the story about Jesus birth is more than a pregnant virgin riding on a donkey and giving birth in a stable. Its more a census being taken its about more than angles. Its about a savior ..your savior....my savior being born into this earth with a sole purpose to die for our sins. A Savior who died not only for the "Christians" or the "religious" people. But for people who think they are not good enough for church...the people that the churches people have shoved away, for the people who have never even heard Jesus name...he died even for those who don't even believe in him.

Maybe its just me....but I get this awe struck feeling in my stomach, this feeling of overwhelming thankfulness  and so much emotion arises when I hear this. Because I can see just a silver of the huge amount of love that Christ has for us...and everyone.

Here it is December 23 and we are blessed beyond measure. So blessed that we remember to thank God all the time for food, shelter, gas, our health and family. But I think people who have grown up with a family who is religious sometime forget to give thanks for one of the most important things we were ever given...Jesus. Its not about the apps, the lights, the singers, the food, the gifts, or the Grinch...its about Christ being born, born with a sole purpose to die for you and me.

When we pray the next few days lets all try and give thanks for more than just our food and gifts, lets remember to give thanks for the reason that we are here...the reason we are celebrating.

Jesus.

Patty

No comments: