Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lent

Lent...when we lived in Michigan...a largely Christian Reformed area I grew up hearing about Lent. We always gave something up for Lent. A lot of people pick things like cake or sweets or smoking. I never understood why...just that we had to because Church said so...and really a lot of people don't stick to their "fast" anyway.

When we moved to GA a mostly Southern Baptist or Non Denominational area, I never heard anyone mention Lent.  I did some research and found out what it was all about. The whole idea of Lent is to observe the 40 days fast that Jesus spent in the wilderness. We celebrate it from Ash Wedensday till Easter to prepare ourselves for the celebration of the death and resurrection of Christ.

Anyway we decided that even though our church does not mention Lent or practice it, we wanted it to be something our family did. This gives us extra attention and time to spend with The Lord.

This year Aaron and I have decided to fast from Facebook and for me also Pinterest. It seems silly but think about all the extra time you (we) spent on these sites...that's a lot of extra time in the day. It's been freeing these first two days without it...honestly I don't miss it at all.

So here is to 38 more days of spending my time with a more important thing...the bible and The Lord.

Patty

No comments: