Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

$31.58 = 2 weeks of groceries

Aaron and I are making up for daycare costs from when I was working outside the home. Because of this our budget is tight and we are living the Dave Ramsey way. If you don't have the cash then you don't get it. After I paid our tithe and mortgage last week...I had a $10 bill left for two weeks. I know this seems crazy, but our bills were paid and they only thing I had to figure out was enough gas to get us to church and to the grocery store.

I thought, Googled, and read a million blogs on money saving menus, less expensive grocery lists, and on and on. I could not figure out a way to feed my family on $10 let alone get gas to. For whatever reason...I was not worried at all. God and I have been spending a lot of quality time together and I have yet to feel worry about anything going on in our lives right now, this to did not worry me. I knew that God was going to provide.

I woke up the next morning and spent some great time with Parson. When Parson went down for his morning nap I got out my devotional, journal, and bible. I read the daily devotional, two Psalms and then I wrote out my prayer. My prayer included "Lord, thy will be done. Please provide the money we need to put the food we need on our table. I trust you." I finished writing out the rest of my prayer and closed my journal.

I went about the day cleaning the house, closets, drawers, old purses, ect. Along the way I was able to find about $53. This with my $10 already I had $63! I rolled the coins and turned them in at the bank for bills. This was more than enough to buy food and gas! Then I got to thinking well I owed someone $20 for purchasing something for me. I put that $20 in the mail and I was left with $43 and some change. I  put $10 of that aside for gas. That would get us to and from church and the grocery store no problem. I was left with $33 and some change for groceries. With Dave in the back of my mind I knew I had to focus and make this happen.

I planned a menu as best as I could. Aaron, Parson, and I went to church today. I left the house with my cash and my drivers licence. I kept everything else from my wallet (including my debit card) at home. We sat though church and the whole time I just kept praying "I trust you Lord, thy will be done. Show me how to do this" We left church and we went to two grocery stores...Aldi and Kroger.

Here is what I got for $38.58



1 box of Cheerios
1 box of animal crackers
1 large bag of chicken breast tenderloins
1 package of turkey hot dogs
1 can of sliced peaches
2 dozen eggs
3 pounds of rice
6 packs of Ramen Noodles
1 gallon of milk
4 red onions
3 tomato
3 pounds of bananas
1 package of tortillas
3 zuchinni
3 yellow squash
1 bag of large carrots
2 pounds of dried black beans
1 sweet potato



Now your thinking...how are you going to feed your family of three for the next 13 days off of this? For starters I had a few groceries at home. Some chicken, half gallon of milk, two small steaks, half a box of fish sticks, cheese, a bag of frozen veggies and about 4 pounds of potatoes. Parson is the only person who really "drinks" milk at our house so the gallon and a half will be more than enough for 13 days. The package of turkey hot dogs had 10 hot dogs, that will be enough for two dinners for us. I make all of our bread items from scratch. That means everything, pancakes, sandwich bread, rolls, buns, brownies, cakes...all of it. I had all the flour and baking essentials at home because I buy those in bulk.

Here is our planned menu starting today:

Breakfast: Toast, eggs, banana bread, pancakes, fruit
Lunch: left overs, grilled cheese, fish sticks, ramen noodles, veggies, and fruit
Dinners:

1.) Steak -Veggie-Apple Sauce
2.) Rice and beans - veggie
3.) Turkey dogs - raw carrots/dip
4.) Grilled chicken - veggie - bread
5.) Pancakes and fruit
6.) Rice and beans - veggie
7.) Italian chicken and rice
8.) Egg and cheese sandwiches - fruit
9.) Potato and chicken casserole
10.) Grilled chicken - veggie
11.) Waffles - fruit
12.) Turkey dogs - veggies/ fruit
13.) Hoge-Podge soup. I take all my left over veggies and chicken and put it in the crockpot with rice, water and seasonings and let it cook all day. Serve with fruit and fresh bread.

See, you can spend less than $40 for two weeks worth of groceries. It may not be organic or name brand and it make take more time because its made from scratch. But its in the budget and its more than enough healthy food for our family.

Pray for the Lord to give you what you need and he always delivers. Even if it does come in pennys and dimes from old purses, couch cushions, and coin jars. He always provides what (more) than what we need.

Happy budgeting and happy praying.

- Patty




No comments: